Fire hits Springville home

The home of Paul and Brenda Sherman in Springville was damaged after an angel on a Christmas tree ignited and the fire spread. STAFF PHOTO/KEVIN WOODRUFF


A angel on top of a Christmas tree is believed to have ignited from a nearby bulb and started a fire that pretty nearly gutted one side of the home of Paul and Brenda Sherman.

 Springville Fire Chief Dan Smales said that Brenda Sherman called in the fire after seeing her Christmas tree ablaze around 8 a.m. on Wednesday morning at a residence along Route 29 south of the village of Springville, about a mile north of the Wyoming County line.

“She was able to get a dog out, and the fire marshal said we made a good stop, but the fire had raced up one wall and caused some smoke damage elsewhere,” Smales said.

The Shermans have a teen-aged son and college-aged daughter, and are staying with relatives for the time being, Smales said.

He added that the outpouring of support for the family of his fire company’s second asst. chief Paul Sherman has been “wonderful.”

Firefighters and equipment from several departments including Springville, Montrose United, Triton, Elk Lake, Laceyville (Good Will), Meshoppen, Nicholson and Rush responded to help put out the blaze. Also on hand were the Minutemen EMS from Montrose.

Be the first to comment on "Fire hits Springville home"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.